I love going to watch the little penguins come home to bed in the evening at Phillip Island and I figured that since I’m going again tonight, I’d put little penguins on my nails to celebrate!
This is probably the most challenging nail art I’ve done but that said it was still pretty straight forward. Even my right hand looks great!
How much do you love the little cross-eyed pengu!
You’ll need dark blue polish (if you’re specifically making little penguins which are the only blue penguins in the world), orange, white, and black polish. A dotting tool (you can get these for less than a dollar on eBay), some foil, and your usual top and bottom coats.
When you’re working with the dotting tool, pour out a little nail polish onto the foil so it’s easier and faster to use.
- After applying a base coat, paint a couple of coats of blue.
- Using the white polish, start painting a dome shape about two thirds up your nail. Try to follow the shape of your nail and don’t go all the way to the edges so there’s still some blue on either side. You’ll need to do two coats.
- Using the larger end of the dotting tool, dot on two eyes above the white tummy.
- To paint the little feet, use the larger end of the dotting tool to do two small lines across the white at the bottom. I find it easiest to dot my way along rather than dragging the polish.
- Do the same thing with the smaller end of the dotting tool to make the beak at the top of the white tummy.
- Finally, dot two little black pupils in the middle of each circle with the smaller end of the tool to finish the eyes. By putting the dots in different areas of the white spots you can give each penguin a different expression!
Just make sure you wait a really long time before you put top coat on. You have a lot of layers of polish on your nail and if it hasn’t completely hardened it’ll run.